From the Heart- Dealing with the Side Affects of Blood Thinners + Pacemaker Update

Hi everyone!  I'm dedicating today's post to a medical update.

As I mentioned in this post, I'm on an additional blood thinner now called Plavix.  This is to make sure that my vein that had stents inserted into it won't clot and cause problems.  Although taking this medication has not changed my life much, I do notice that I have been bruising more lately because of it 😬.  I'm naturally a clumsy person, so I bump into things...regularly πŸ˜‚.  Now, if I bump into something and it hurts, I know that I will probably get a bruise.  I was talking to one of my family members about my bruising and they made a good point that at least now both of my legs are banged up πŸ˜‚.  Moral of the story:  don't get upset about bruises and find the funny!

Another way in which taking Plavix has affected me is that it takes a little bit of time to get me to stop bleeding when I get a cut πŸ’‰.  I experienced this a couple of weeks ago when I accidentally cut the palm of my hand with scissors when the scissors missed the flowers I was trimming 😬.  Thankfully, the cut was not super deep, but it did take a little while for the blood to totally clot.  I was a tiny bit worried at first that I might have to have the cut stitched closed but thankfully God caused it to heal without thatπŸ™Œ.  I guess I just need to make sure that I slow down when dealing with sharp objects!

It's been a while since I've told you guys about my pacemaker!  Thankfully, all has been well with it as far as I know.  Recently, I went to a sports event and of course had to go through security.  I told the lady at security that I had a pacemaker and that I was wondering what she wanted me to do.  Going through a metal detector won't hurt my pacemaker, but it could set off the detector.  (Setting off a metal detector because of my pacemaker may or may not be something on my bucket list 😁.)  In response, the lady at the security point asked me, "What's a pacemaker."  That threw me for a loop because I assumed that since she was working in security, she would know what a pacemaker was.   I'm not trying to rag on this woman, but I was definitely surprised that she didn't know even a smidgen about a pacemaker! Fumbling for words, I replied, "It's something for my heart and it contains metal."  Everything worked out fine in the end, but that experience has made me realize that I should know exactly what a pacemaker is so that I am more educated about my health and so that I can explain it to others who are wondering.  So, to close this post, I will tell you the definition of a pacemaker.  According to Wikipedia, "A pacemaker is a medical device that generates electrical impulses delivered by electrodes to contract the heart muscles and regulate the electrical conduction system of the heart."  So there you (and I!) have it!

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!  I look forward to posting again on Friday 😊!

Comments

  1. Lily, I'm really enjoying your blogs. I wish I could say it was because of your food tips; but as you probably know, I'm not much of a cook. What I really enjoy is your personal sharing, the maturity you show, and for the faith you demonstrate in the storms/trials of your life. You're an inspiration to me and to others. Thanks for being so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your very thoughtful comment; it means a lot! Pardon me, but I'm actually not sure who this is as the comment is coming from someone "unknown." Would you mind replying and letting me know? Thanks again for your very sweet comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment