From the Heart- Post-op Visit to Clinic + Next Step

Hi everyone!  I apologize for posting late.  Today's post is going to be yet another medical update because this week, I had a post-op appointment after my vascular surgery.

So, overall, the follow-up appointment went well 🙌!  The sites where the catheters were inserted are healing nicely and there is not nearly as much bruising as the first time 🙌! The vascular surgeon was a little disappointed that there wasn't much visual improvement in my right leg (not because he performed a cosmetic surgery or anything like that but because an outward improvement can be an indication of better blood flow).  I will say, though that my toes have been looking pinker 🎉!  Apparently, the increased level of pinkness does not indicate that my veins are necessarily working well but instead shows good arterial flow.  That's better than nothing!  The surgeon said that he can't know for sure what's been going on inside since the surgery without physically going in and looking.   Also, he asked if we had ordered the foot warmer for the mattress, which he had told us at the pre-op appointment that we should buy because it helps the blood flow better.  I think it's pretty funny how he really wanted us to buy that simple gadget because he likes it so much 😂.  You can know about all the coolest medical technology in your field but that won't beat the simple things of life.

This appointment was nice because I feel like it was one of the first times where I really got to know my surgeon as a human being and not just as my doctor.  I guess now that I'm older, I appreciate getting to know those who deal with my health in a way that goes just beyond them being my doctor and I being their patient.  Because the truth is, even if I'm someone with a CHD and they're doctors, we're all humans who have lives outside of the hospital and clinic 😊.

So, what's the next step?  Well, the vascular surgeon wants to try one more time to open up the occluded veins in my right leg.  I should clarify that last time, he did not put in more stents.  Anyways, we are all hoping that I will have another one of these procedures in the near future, like towards the end of this month.  I hope and pray that through the surgeon's work, I will be able to once and for all have improved blood flow in my leg.  He said that this third attempt to improve the blood flow will be his last;  if the vein closes up again, he will have given it his best shot and there is nothing else he can do after that.  Like I said, I hope and pray that this go-around will be truly successful, but even if it's not, this is not a problem that is life-threatening or is going to hurt me.  It's in God's hands and He knows what is best, so the best thing that I can do is pray that His will would be done and entrust this situation to Him.  Looking on the bright side, at least going under anesthesia this next time shouldn't be too bad because we know what to do to prevent nausea and the recovery after the surgery isn't very long, so I should be back to myself soon after the surgery, which is a blessing 🙌!

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!  I look forward to posting again on Monday 😊.  (Hopefully an Instant Pot recipe 😋!)

Comments