Candied Walnuts





Hi everyone!  I apologize for posting so late.  I think from now on, I just want to commit to posting twice a week and not necessarily on Monday's and Friday's. Hopefully that's ok with y'all.  Anyways, today, I want to share with you an easy stove-top recipe guaranteed to make your desserts and salads more fun:  candied walnuts.

Only a few simple ingredients are required to make candied walnuts.  I'd like to walk you through those ingredients real quick.

1.  Walnuts

This is probably the most obvious ingredient in today's recipe 😂.  Why candy walnuts versus a different nut?  Well, at least here in California, walnuts are one of the cheaper nuts, so that's a plus.  Also, they have a neutral flavor that is great for sweet or savory applications ( today's recipe is, of course, a sweet application.)  Lastly, they are really easy to chop up.  Maybe this is just me, but I feel that almonds are harder to chop into small pieces for baked goods and other treats.  What do you guys think about that?



2.  Granulated Sugar

Granulated sugar is essential in making candied walnuts; it adds a wonderfully sweet, caramelized and crispy coating to the walnuts as it toasts in the pan.  While I do try to use natural sweeteners in my kitchen adventures (such as in these muffins), sometimes only actual sugar will do the trick.  That's the case with this candied walnut recipe, but feel free to experiment with natural sweeteners if you'd prefer.



3.  Butter

Butter truly does make everything better.  It keeps the sugar and walnuts from totally sticking to the pan and also adds richness to the recipe.

I used this recipe to bring you today's recipe.

I'll be sharing a dessert recipe with you all in the near future that is a great way to show off these candied walnuts, but in the meantime, add them to your favorite simple salad recipe topped with this dressing.

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram.  I look forward to posting again tomorrow or Saturday 😊.  (hopefully one of my favorite frosting recipes 😋!)



Candied Walnuts

  • 1 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 T. unsalted butter
1.  In a sauté pan over medium heat, add all of the ingredients.
2.  Heat over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently so the mixture does not burn.
3.  Transfer the mixture immediately onto a sheet of parchment paper and separate the nuts right away.
4.  Let the candied walnuts cool for 5-7 minutes so that the coating solidifies, then enjoy, storing at room temperature for up to 3 days.

Comments