Italian-style Zucchini

If you're like me, you have zucchini comin' out of your ears these days. (not literally of course 😊)  I was cooking dinner with my mom the other night and we were having chicken Parmesan with couscous ( a rice-like pasta)  We needed a veggie to go with the meal and since we had a bunch of zucchini, I decided to make Italian-style zucchini.  I LOVE zucchini for a few reasons.
1.  It can be prepared in many different ways
Seriously zucchini is one of the most versatile veggies out there.  It can be grated into muffins, charred on the grill, tossed into soups, steamed into soft perfection, roasted until it takes on a caramelized crunch, or sauteed on the stove.  The possibilities are endless.
2.  Its mild flavor makes the seasoning possibilities endless
Unlike carrots or butternut squash (two veggies very dear to my heart 💕), zucchini has somewhat of a neutral flavor, which means that it can stand up to pretty much any combination of seasonings.  I've had zucchini with Mexican seasonings to zucchini with an Italian flavor.  Again, the possibilities are pretty much endless.
3.  It's Super Healthy
Zucchini is rich in potassium and vitamin C.  It also contains a fair amount of vitamin B-6.  In addition, zucchini is low carb and low sugar, making it the perfect veggie for almost everyone.  It's very hydrating too as it contains a lot of water.  (click here for more information

Today, I'll be showing you how to quickly saute zucchini with Italian flavor for an easy peasy side dish.  It's important to chop the zucchini into small chunks so that it cooks up fast.  The chunks should look like this:
Also, figure that each person will eat one sauteed zucchini.  If you're wondering why there is sugar in the recipe, this is because it ties all the flavors together and creates a light caramelization on the zucchini chunks.
  Oh, and before I forget, a funny zucchini story of mine.  One time I was making a salad to go with dinner.  I was wanting to add cucumber to it and opened the fridge to get one.  I saw a long green veggie that looked like a cucumber, so I grabbed it.  After cutting it up and putting in the salad, my mom saw it and said that what I had thought was a cucumber was actually a zucchini.  I felt kinda bad for making such a stupid mistake, but it was funny and my parents laughed with me about it.  And I learned a lesson- before putting something in a salad, make sure you know for sure what it is 😊.
Italian-style Zucchini
  • 3 medium zucchinis, washed
  • 2 TBS. olive oil
  • 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. sugar
  • Salt and pepper to taste 
  1.  Quarter each zucchini and chop into small chunks
  2. Heat olive oil in a non-stick pan until warm
  3. Add the zucchini and all the rest of the ingredients except for the salt and pepper
  4. Cook until zucchini is soft
  5. Season with salt and pepper to taste
  6. Enjoy 😊!




Comments