Welcome to My Blog and Let's Enjoy Some Apple Pie Pancakes!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Hi everyone!  I'm Lily and I welcome you to my first food blog!  I'm a teen who has a passion for food and cooking and I'm starting this blog to share that passion with as many people as I can.  On this blog, you'll find that most recipes are healthy and delicious, with a few sweets thrown in for fun 😊.  I hope you enjoy this blog.  Let's get cooking!



To start his blog off on the right foot, I've decided to share a cozy holiday favorite with y'all:  My riff on apple pie for breakfast. I know what you're thinking: Apple pie for breakfast?!  Really?!  Let me explain.

First, I start with a basic whole wheat pancake recipe that I adapted from a Betty Crocker cookbook.  I try to use white whole wheat flour as much as I can in my cooking because of it's amazing health benefits.  It's full of heart-healthy fiber and carbs that stick with you. I get mine from Trader Joe's. (aka the best grocery store ever 😍!!).  White-whole wheat flour is 100% whole wheat flour but just milder tasting, making it perfect for healthy, delicious muffins and quick breads.  Most bakers shy away from a denser flour like whole wheat flour, but I embrace it and just sift it if it's too hearty.  The pancake batter is super simple to whip up and is just the right consistency.  It should look like this:



Although the pancakes are themselves are scrumptious, the apple pie-style filling is the real star of the show.  Tart apples marry with sugar and spice to create a party in your mouth.  I like using tarter apples like granny smiths because they ensure that this sticky filling is not cloyingly sweet.  And brown sugar adds a caramel-like taste and texture to the filling that perfectly complements the velvety butter.  And since this is apple pie, sweet and spicy cinnamon is a must have flavor.  It's like how peanut butter is with jelly (or how jelly is with peanut butter?)

Top these puppies off with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar for a real breakfast treat.  I hope you enjoy this for breakfast as much as I did 😊!

Apple Pie Pancakes

For the pancakes...

  • 1 large egg
  • 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
  • A scant 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
  • 1 TBS vegetable, canola, or light-tasting olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
  1.   In a medium bowl, beat egg with a whisk until fluffy
  2.   Beat in remaining ingredients with a whisk just until smooth
  3. Coat a non-stick pan with about 2 TBS oil or butter and heat until warm but not burned
  4. Spoon pancake batter into the warm greased pan in about 1/4 scoops.  Try to spoon them towards the outer edge of the pan
  5. Cook and flip the pancakes once bubbles in the batter form
  6. Cook pancakes to the desired degree of doneness and set aside while the apple pie filling cooks

For the apple pie filling...
  • 1 1/2 tart apples (like granny smith), washed, cored, and peeled
  • 3 TBS lightly packed brown sugar
  • 2 TBS butter
  • 2 tsp  ground cinnamon
1.  Finely chop the apple
2.  Melt the butter in a non-stick pan
3.  Add the apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon
4.  Cook until apples are soft and the filling is sticky
5.  Divide filling equally and spoon it on top of the pancakes
6.  Enjoy 😊!!



Comments