Lemme share a secret with you- I normally do not like to make baked goods from boxed mixes (yes I am a dream-crusher). However, these cookies are the exception.
Lemme break down this recipe: Ya'll are gonna need a boxed cake mix. I used funfetti, but honestly, I think almost any cake mix wold be tasty. (my computer is saying that funfetti is not a word 😕.) Oh. My. Gosh. i just got a super duper wonderful idea. I need to make these cookies with strawberry cake mix for Valentines Day!! Too cute💕.
I digress.... Sprinkles are pretty essential to this recipe. Using funfetti cake mix without additional sprinkles is simply not enough. The taste of these cookies is AMAZING: Vanilla and butter flavor mix with sugary sprinkles. It can't get any better. These cookies are a perfect way to celebrate life's everyday pleasures. Like sticking with your New Year's Resolution. Or hanging out with friends.
The trick with these cookies is to slam the cookie sheet on a hard surface with the baked cookies on it. Not too hard!! Just hit it firmly but not wildly and you will see the cookies sink in, which means that you did it right. I know. This is weird. However, this trick firms the cookies up and gives them a nice texture. Also, let them sit for about 5 minutes on the sheet after they are baked. This gives them more structure. Ooh and one more trick- chilling the dough helps the dry ingredients to absorb the fat and personally, I think it allows the scrumptious flavors to mingle.
I can't take credit for these amazing cookies. I pretty much followed the recipe from Sally's Baking Addiction. (aka the best cooking blog EVER😍!!) I just changed the recipe some to suit my own tastes. Here is the link to the original recipe .
In short, these cookies are celebratory bites that make you wanna dance. Oh yeah.
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 Tbs. sprinkles ( I use non-pariels) 1. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cake mix, and baking soda. Set aside 2. Using a mixer, cream the softened butter and both sugars on medium speed until smooth. 3. Add the egg and mix on high until combined, about 1 minute. 4. Add the vanilla and beat on high until combined. 5. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix on low- medium speed until just combined. 6. Fold in the sprinkles. 7. Tightly cover the bowl of sough and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours, or up to 4 days. 8. Once the dough has been chilled for at least two hours, preheat oven to 350 F. 9. Grease 2 cookie sheets with cooking spray, or line with parchment paper. 10. Using a 1.5 Tbs. cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto prepared sheet, making 3 rows of 4 dough balls per sheet. 11. Bake in preheated oven for 14 minutes. 12. After the cookies have fully baked, gently hit the cookie sheet with the cookies on it once or twice, or until you see the middles of the cookies sink in. 13. The cookies stay fresh at room temperature for 3 days and can be frozen for up to 4 months.
Let the party begin!!