For one thing, I used a recipe that was gluten-free. Note: gluten-free does NOT I repeat does NOT mean healthy. However, when nutrient-dense almond flour and coconut flour are used in lieu of empty all-purpose flour, things get healthy. Next, forget refined sugar. I used honey as a natural sweetener and binder for these hearty scones. Although honey isn't a health food (it's still sugar), it's natural and unprocessed.
So there you have it! A quick, healthy, and oh-so-delicious scone recipe that will satisfy your spring cravings and make a great treat for gluten-sensitive guests (or anyone for that matter) at your Easter celebration.
I can't take credit for this delicious recipe. I adapted it from a recipe my aunt gave me. (Hi Aunt Trish 😊!)
Lemon Blueberry Scones
- · 1 ¾ cup almond flour, sifted
- · 3 T. coconut flour, sifted
- · ¼ cup honey
- · 1 egg
- · ¼ cup milk (any kind), divided
- · 3 T. unsalted butter, melted
- · 1 ½ tsp. lemon zest
- · ½ tsp. baking soda
- · ¼ tsp. salt
- · ¾ cup blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. Sift almond and coconut flours into a large bowl.
3. Add honey, 3 T milk, butter, lemon zest, baking soda, and salt to the flours.
4. Mix until a loose dough forms.
5. Gently fold in the blueberries.
6. Use a biscuit cutter to fill with equal amounts of dough.
7. Press the dough down with your hands to form a circular shape and then place on greased cookie sheet.
8. Brush scones with the reserved milk.
9. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
10. Let cool slightly before removing from the baking sheet and eating, then enjoy!