To me, coleslaw is one dish that has so much contrast in texture. You have the crunchy veggies and the creamy dressing stirred together to create a toothsome, yet velvety texture in each bite. It amazes me.
Unlike most coleslaws, the one for today is lightened with one of my fave ingredients: plain yogurt! Packed with protein, creaminess, and not a lot of fat, plain, low-fat yogurt makes this slaw something that you can feel good about eating. Y'all probably know my love for using yogurt to lighten a recipe. (Just see my dark chocolate chip muffins here: http://thewell-lovedapron.blogspot.com/2017/01/dark-chocolate-chip-muffins.html
In addition, I also used light mayo. Again, this adds richness but still keeps fat in check.
I know that there's a big debate on whether cilantro is super tasty or horrible. To some, it tastes earthy and bright, to others, soapy and gross. I tend to think that cilantro is great. However, I will admit that too much cilantro can overwhelm a dish and give it a soapy taste.
I hope you enjoy this versatile side dish ( and make the above picture your screensaver, lol 😆)
Cilantro- orange Slaw
· 1 medium red cabbage, shredded
· 1 carrot, shredded
· 1/3 cup orange juice
· 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
· ¼ cup plain yogurt
· 2 T. apple cider vinegar
· 2 ½ T. cilantro, very finely chopped
· 1 tsp. sriracha hot chili sauce
· Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, stir together the cabbage and carrot
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the rest of the ingredients
3. Pour the contents of the medium bowl into the large bowl and thoroughly stir everything together to evenly coat.
4. Best if you let the slaw sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
5. Enjoy stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.