Classic Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Buttercream

Happy 4th of July!  Let's admit it-  In spite of all our efforts to eat healthy, we fail- at times.  And I'm sure for  a lot of you, a fluffy, sweet cupcake topped with a silky, rich buttercream is that sweet you just can't possibly resist.  And that's the recipe I'm sharing with you today.


I took a little hiatus from blogging but now I'm right back at it!  I fixed some bugs and attempted to make this blog more user-friendly.


I'm gonna be honest-  there came a point when I got sick of making these cupcakes.  But before you gape your mouth open wide and say what a weird, demented human I am- let me explain.

I did a science fair project last year about baking powder vs. baking soda in cupcakes. (Baking nerds unite!)  I used this recipe and I had to make the cupcakes sooo many times.  I love to bake and all, but when I make the same thing over and over again, I get a little sick of it.


Now, however, I've had a little break from making these cupcakes, and even made them recently for my sister's first baby's gender reveal party  (its a boy :))!


Oh and BTW, these cupcakes are a great canvas for 4th of July decor such as sprinkles or dyed frosting.

Let's start out with the cupcake:  It's rich, moist and fluffy, made with ingredients that you probably have sitting at home.  No weird, expensive ingredients here; just baking basics.

Now this buttercream:  I could go on and on about this lush, velvety to-die-for buttercream.  It's the perfect sweetness and consistency, with just the right amount of vanilla goodness.  Like the cupcakes, it's made with ingredients that you probably have at home.  And this buttercream is soooooo versatile.  Literally, put it on any flavor of cake and I guarantee you that cake will be incredible.  It's like eating a cloud.  A sugary vanilla cloud.  Moving on....

I didn't think of these awesome recipes myself.  I used the exact recipe for the cupcakes from here .   And the frosting recipe was slightly tweaked from my favorite baking blog .

Since I didn't change anything with the cupcakes, I won't put the recipe up here, but I'll put up the frosting recipe since I changed it a little bit.

Vanilla Buttercream
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
  • 3-4 cups confectioner's sugar
  • Milk or heavy cream to desired consistency
  • 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract                                                                                                                     1.  Beat the butter on medium speed until creamy, about two minutes                                           2.  Add 3 1/2 cups of confectioner's sugar, the milk or cream, and vanilla extract, beating on low.                                                                                                                                                       3.  Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.                                                                           4.  Add the rest of the confectioner's sugar if the frosting if too thin and more milk or cream if the frosting is too thick.                                                                                                                   5. Cover tightly, storing in the fridge for up to a week.


Comments