Grandma's Thumbprint Cookies

Hi guys!  I hope y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends.  One thing I didn't mention in Wednesday's post that I'm thankful for is all of you, my readers, of course!  Without your readership (apparently that is a word), this blog would be a psycho foodie who talks to to herself .(Hence she is psycho 😜.)

I want to share this recipe with you today as I remember the life of my Grandma, who went to be with the Lord 14 years ago today. Sadly, I don't remember meeting her because I was only a year old when she passed away, but I know that she was an amazing Croatian woman who inspired everyone around her with her love for God, family, country, and food.  Three dishes she was most famous for were her spaghetti, sauerkraut, and thumbprint cookies, all of which my family and I partook of on Thanksgiving.


These thumbprint cookies of her that I am sharing with you today are great for three reasons.

1.  They Are Easy

It only takes a few ingredients that you probably have at home to make these cookies.  Although these cookies are somewhat time-consuming to make, they do not require mastery of complex skills.  (Something yours truly is thankful for 😉.)

2.  They Bring People Together 

Like the spring roll recipe I shared with you, making these cookies is a team project, perfect to do with family and friends during this holiday season.

3.  They Are Delicious

As if you did not have reason enough to bake these special treats, their taste is unparalleled.  A buttery cookie surrounds a sticky, fruity jam to make a luxurious treat.  Dunk one of these cookies in milk or coffee, and you've got yourself the perfect dessert.  I hope you enjoy making and eating these cookies as much as I do!  And stay tuned for a gingerbread muffin recipe coming this week!


Grandma's Thumbprint Cookies

  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs yolks + reserved egg whites
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup fruit preserve (I like apricot or strawberry)
1.  Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
2.  Beat together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, egg yolks, salt, and vanilla until a soft dough forms in a large bowl.
3.  Gradually add the flour and mix until combined.
4.  In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites.
5.  In another small bowl, add the chopped walnuts.
6.  In another small bowl, add the fruit preserves.
7.  Scoop 1.5 Tbs. balls of dough.
8. Dunk each dough bowl in the egg whites.
9.  Roll each dough ball in the chopped walnuts.
10.  Make an indentation with your thumb in the center of the dough balls.
11.  Fill the indentation with the fruit preserves, being careful not to overfill.
12.  Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes.
13.  Enjoy the cookies, storing at room temperature for up to 3 days and freezing for at least a month.

Comments