From the Heart- Meeting With the Vascular Surgeon + Next Step

Hi everyone!  How was your Saint Patrick's Day?  Did you do anything fun for that?  Let me know in the comments below!

In case you're new to my blog, I have HLHS, which is a rare and complex congenital heart defect in which I was born with a very small left ventricle.  So I just wanted to give y'all an update on my appointment with the vascular surgeon that I had this morning.  He said that there is a possibility of some vein blockage, but that he couldn't tell from the ultrasound which one.  Since my right leg does not look like anything severe is going on internally, I am not in pain because of my leg,  and I am not displaying "red flag" symptoms, he is not worried about it for now.  Praise God 🙌!

Also, in this appointment, I had an EKG done.  Essentially, this is a test to see the rhythm of my heart.  Thankfully, it looked good!  I got to see my cardiologist at this appointment as well for a minute or two, which was really cool!  It was so sweet, he basically stopped in to say hi!  He's a great cardiologist!

So you might be wondering what the next step is at this point.  Well, so long as my veins continue to stay how they are right now, the vascular surgeon said that he won't investigate them further until the summer.  In the summer, he said that he will be performing an angiogram.  This an x-ray procedure in which the patient is sedated and injected with contrast to see what veins are blocked (www.vascular.org).  This would coincide with my fontan surveillance procedure. The fontan procedure is a heart surgery I had when I was very young for my HLHS.  The x-ray procedure involves checking the pressures in one's heart while they are sedated.  I've never had a procedure like this done since I was a little child, so that will make it an adventure 🙃!

Well, in short, God really blessed the appointment!  I'll keep y'all updated as I continue on my HLHS journey!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Comments