From the Heart- Explaining HLHS in Spanish, Going in a Jacuzzi with HLHS, and Possible Heart Supplement

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Hi everyone!  How was your weekend?  I want to devote today’s post to giving you another sneak peak into my life with  HLHS.

This weekend, I took a long weekend and went with my family to the coast for a mini reunion with some family from Argentina.  At one point in a dinner conversation, my aunt was quietly trying to explain my heart condition to one of the Argentine relatives. My mom could tell she was trying to be discreet about it, which was very sweet of her, but she knew I would be happy to explain it.  Easy, right?!  The only small problem:  Being from Argentina, my relative was not a native English speaker, so I would have to explain HLHS to him in Spanish 😱.  I know a fair amount of Spanish, but not really much medical jargon.  Thankfully, with help from some of my other family members and a diagram, HLHS was  explained.  It was a bit of an adventure but really fulfilling to help spread awareness for HLHS in Spanish!

Also I wanted to tell you guys about going in the jacuzzi with HLHS.   Anyways, all I want to tell you is how having a heart condition affects hot-tubbing.  So physically being in hot water makes an HLHS heart work harder.  Because of this, I had to take a few precautions when going in the hot tub.  It’s not a problem for me or anyone with HLHS to go hot-tubbing once in a while; we just have to make sure that we get out and cool off after a little while, go with someone (just to be safe), and stay hydrated.  The latter two precautions are just good in general for people with HLHS.

Lastly, I want to tell y’all about an interesting supplement for heart health that I tried this weekend.  I say that I tried it because one of my relatives was taking the supplement, which is called CoQ10 and said that it’s really good for the heart, which I had heard before.  I am definitely interested in possibly taking this supplement regularly.  I know that it won’t cure HLHS, but I’m fairly certain that if I take CoQ10, it will nourish my heart.  If any of y’all know more about CoQ10, let me know!

That’s all for now!  I’ll be telling y’all more about my trip, specifically the food aspect of it, on Friday!

Comments