Cajun-style Shrimp

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!


Hi everyone!  Happy Monday!  In this post, I'm sharing a delicious, easy, and healthy recipe!

I'm going to be honest-  I was not planning on posting this recipe for a while because I have lots of other material to share with y'all but then I felt that it would be cruel and unusual punishment to keep this to myself because it's so good!

Before this recipe, I'd never used Cajun seasoning, even though it's in my family's spice drawer.  (On an unrelated note, do any of y'all have tips for organizing spices?  If so, let me know in the comments below!)  So after a family member suggested making Cajun shrimp, I knew I had to try it and share it with all of you.

Are any of you wondering what Cajun seasoning tastes like?  In this dish, it's spicy but has a deep smokiness.  Why?  It contains spices like paprika, cayenne, black, pepper, and white pepper, each of which add spicy, pungent complexity.  It's definitely strong, so I use just a tad in this recipe but feel free to add more if you like (I added more to my own portion 😁.)  Don't have any Cajun seasoning?  You can make your own!

I know that the recipe title could be a bit misleading, so I will tell you that today's recipe is not just shrimp with Cajun seasoning (though that would certainly be delightful).  It has more!  In fact, the rest of this ingredients in today's recipe turn it from a stellar protein to a weeknight-friendly meal.  By adding a trifecta of bell peppers, onions, and corn, a simple protein is elevated to a meal packed with vibrant colors and lots of nutrition.  It's a great way to eat lots of veggies while filling up with protein-packed shrimp.

While this dish is a perfectly acceptable meal all on its own, its even better served with cous cous, which is essentially a fine wheat pasta.  Make sure to serve this Cajun dish with whole wheat cous cous to get the most nutritional bang for your buck.

So that's about it!  This recipe is summer on a plate!  I was inspired by this recipe when developing today's recipe.


Cajun-style Shrimp
  • 28 shrimp, peeled and deveined
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped into small pieces
  • 2 cups corn (if using frozen defrost first)
  • 1 white onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 T. olive oil, divided
  • 1/2 tsp. Cajun seasoning, plus more to taste
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped parsley, chopped, for topping (optional)
1.  In a large skillet, heat 1/2 T. olive oil over medium heat and add the onion and bell pepper, sautéing until tender, about 5 minutes
2.  Stir in garlic and corn and cook for another minute.
3.  Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside
4.  Add the rest of the olive oil to the pan.
5.  Add the shrimp in a single layer and season with salt, pepper, and Cajun seasoning.
6.  Cook the shrimp until they are no longer pink, about 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
7.  Add the cooked vegetables and lemon juice and cook until the vegetables are warmed up again.
8.  Enjoy, serving with chopped parsley and storing leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Comments