Smoothie of the Month: Banana Berry



Hi everyone!  Happy Friday!  It's a new year which means it's the perfect time to make life changes and blog changes.  Starting today, I'll be sharing a new smoothie recipe each month to inspire creativity in the kitchen and healthier eating habits in all of us.  I'm planning on posting each new monthly smoothie recipe on the first Monday of every month (obviously this month is an exception) and I would love to hear from you if you want to commit to the challenge of trying a new smoothie each month.  Without further adieu, let's talk about January's smoothie recipe!

This month's smoothie is a beloved classic:  banana berry.  I don't know about you all, but when I think of smoothies, a glass full of a thick, fruity, pink drink comes to mind.  That's what this smoothie is, but with a twist.

I made this smoothie with my friends after we exercised together (each recipe makes two servings.) One of my friends, Samantha, thinks that using a recipe when making a smoothie is helpful.  The other, Beth thinks that a recipe is unneeded when making a smoothie.  I see it both ways.  What do you think?

The obvious culprits in this smoothie are banana and berry, but I added some other ingredients too.

1. Orange Juice

Orange juice adds welcome sweetness and vitamins to this smoothie.  It also makes all the ingredients blendable.

2.  Yogurt

Like orange juice, adding yogurt to the mix helps to ensure that everything blends up nicely.  It also adds a creamy texture to this smoothie.

3.  Ground Flax Seeds

These are optional, but I love adding ground flax seeds to smoothies; they are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for heart health 💓.  Feel free to use chia seeds instead of flax in this smoothie if that's what you have on hand.

4.  Protein Powder

Again, this ingredient is optional but makes this smoothie more filling and great for a workout recovery drink.  There are a lot of protein powders out there these days, but I like the ones that have no added or artificial sweeteners; they are just pure whey protein.

5.  Ice

This is optional as well, but ice makes the smoothie extra cold, and hence, more refreshing.

And while this smoothie is certainly nutritious and delicious all on its own, feel free to serve it with a muffin or something if you're wanting more of a meal.

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!  I look forward to posting again on Monday (planning on a tasty travels post 😋!) 😊.



Banana Berry Smoothie

  • 1 banana, peeled
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
  • 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/4 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 T. ground flax seeds
  • 1.5 T. protein powder
  • Ice
1.  In a blender, blend everything together until smooth.
2.  Enjoy, drinking right away for best taste and texture.


Comments

  1. This smoothie, I will say, is delicious! That being said, I usually just make smoothies by adding the ingredients I want and tasting it to see what else is needed. It just cracked me up that there are smoothies recipes because I have never used one before! 🤣

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally get it, Beth! I'm glad you liked the smoothie :)!

      Delete
  2. Yep, it was really good!! 😋😋 Thanks for having me over!!
    And don't worry, it wasn't that weird of you to use a recipe for the smoothie, despite what Beth may say. 😉 jk we love u Beth 😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks and you're welcome, Sam :P! And yes we love Beth of course ;).

      Delete

Post a Comment