Mushroom and Onion Steak Topping




Hi everyone!  Happy Monday!   If you're looking for an easy way to elevate red meat, look no further because this mushroom and onion topping will do the trick!

Now I know that at this point, some naysayers might automatically think that they will not like this topping because it contains mushrooms.  I get that; I'm not the hugest mushroom fan either.  I think that mushrooms add good flavor but can have a weird texture.  But seriously, even if you are like me and aren't head over heels in love with mushrooms, I'm pretty sure that you will love this topping because it makes mushrooms delicious 😋! 



You might be wondering what is in this topping that transforms mushrooms from eccentric, unappetizing veggies found in musky health stores to tender, flavorful gems.  Well, it's the trifecta of flavorful deliciousness: onions, butter, and red wine.  When these three ingredients cook together with the mushrooms, an umami-rich, fragrant, and downright delicious condiment is formed 😋.





After you make this mushroom and onion topping, you might just want to eat it by the spoonful.  That sounds like a great plan to me, especially since it's said that mushrooms are beneficial to immune and digestive health as they nourish good bacteria.  To read about the other health benefits of mushrooms, see this article.  However, as the title of my blog posts suggests, mushrooms are also delicious on steak.  Serve this steak and this topping with scalloped potatoes and a side salad, and dinner is done ✅!

If after this recipe you're hooked on mushrooms, try adding them to other dishes, such as savory breakfast casserole or  slow cooker French beef stew.

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!  I look forward to posting again on Friday 😊!  (Hopefully a fun dessert for heart month 😊💓!)



Mushroom and Onion Steak Topping

  • 10 oz. sliced white mushrooms
  • 10 oz. sliced cremini mushrooms
  • 1 medium yellow onion, diced
  • 3 T. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup red wine
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1.  In a sauté pan, melt the butter.
2.  To the pan, add the mushrooms and onions and cook over medium-low heat.
3.  Once the onions are softened, add the red wine and cook the mixture until the liquid has cooked off and the veggies are fully cooked.
4.  Enjoy, storing leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.


Comments

  1. Wow, Lily!! Looks SO good! Maybe I'll be allowed to put it on our next meat dish. :P
    And I've been noticing, no kidding, that your photography is great and getting better! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Sam! Your compliments make me smile :). Let me know if you try this out!

      Delete

Post a Comment