Slow Cooker Pork Chili Verde





Hi everyone!  Happy Monday!  Today, I'm going to share with you how to bring your local taqueria to the comfort of your own home via the slow cooker.  Let's get started!

Is this just me, or do you readers have a favorite cuisine that you like to eat?  I feel like a lot of people like a certain style of food.  If I had to pick my top two favorite cuisines, it would be Thai food and Mexican food.  Both of these cuisines are comfort food for me, whether it be a rich, brothy coconut curry or tacos stuffed with spicy pork. 

While I'm on the topic of Mexican food, I had some delicious Mexican food yesterday and today.  A family friend had us over for lunch yesterday after church, and she made some scrumptious posole, which is a hearty, homey Mexican soup 😋.  I've got to figure out how to make it at home.  Also, I'm really wanting to make chicken mole.  This same friend of ours makes it really yummy 😋.  (Can you tell I like Mexican food?!)  I will hopefully be making these two additional dishes and if they turn out well, I'll share them with you all.



But until then, you'll just have to be content with this pork chili verde.  I don't think that should be too difficult, considering that chili verde is comprised of tender chunks of juicy pork engulfed in a savory, spicy green chili sauce.  Can you get much better than that?!

And while this chili verde is delicious all on its own, it would be great served with brown rice, beans and all the fixings (including chili lime crema.)

I used this recipe to bring you today's recipe.

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!  I look forward to posting again on Friday 😊.  (Hopefully a healthy breakfast item 😋!)



Slow Cooker Pork Chili Verde

  • 4.5 lbs. boneless pork shoulder, cubed
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • (2) 7 oz. cans chopped green chiles
  • 1-2 jalepeño peppers, minced
  • 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • (1) 14 oz. can green enchilada sauce
  • (1) 16 0z. jar salsa verde
  • 1.5 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
  • 2 T. cornstarch 
  • 3 T. water
  • Salt and pepper to taste
1.  In a cast iron skillet or sauté pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and heat it, then add the pork and brown all sides of the cubes.
2.  Add the pork, along with all the other ingredients  EXCEPT the cornstarch and water to the slow cooker.
3.  Cook the contents of the slow cooker on low for 6 hours or on high for 4.  
4.  After the chili verde has finished cooking, add the slurry of cornstarch and water to the slow cooker and stir it in to thicken the sauce.
5.  Enjoy, storing leftovers the fridge for up to 3 days.

Comments

  1. I'm going to give this one a try! I'm wimpy so may need to cut back on the heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely good to do less heat because you can always add some hot sauce or other spicy condiment if the spice level of the chili verde is not to your liking. Let me know how it turns out for you :)!

      Delete

Post a Comment