Gluten-free Cinnamon Oat Streusel

Hey guys!  I guess at first blush this recipe doesn't seem summery, but anything with butter and brown sugar is welcome anytime, right?  Right.  So let me tell you a little about today's recipe.

While I was gluten-free for a thyroid issue, I was going to make muffins.  As you may know from a previous post , gluten-free muffins are not difficult to make and are tasty at that.  Being the streusel freak that I am,  (remember this post guys?!)   I  had to figure out how to make a gluten-free streusel just as scrumptious as its glutinous counterpart.

The original streusel recipe on this blog had flour.  While I briefly considered using the gluten-free 1-1 sub in today's recipe, I decided against it.  This is because, although it is delicious in muffins (which you will find out in a future post), this gluten-free flour tastes, for lack of a better term, ricey.  Yes like rice.  Wow, in this post alone I have used two words that spell-check thinks don't exist.  In my world, they do.  Moving on...


So, since I wasn't going to use the 1-1 sub, I decided to use oats in place of flour in today's streusel.  While oats are a lot different in texture than flour, it worked remarkably well in this streusel.  The minor issue with the oats, though is that you can't cut cold butter into oats like you can into flour.  This issue was easily fixed when I decided to use melted butter instead of cold butter in the streusel recipe to make it possible to combine with the oats and other ingredients.

This streusel is super versatile and will be good on pretty much any muffin.  Or try it on these pancakes and let me know what you think.  Or, up your parfait game and use a sprinkle of streusel in lieu of granola.  As you can see, the possibilities are pretty much endless.  But wait-  The best way to eat this streusel:  Grab a spoon and dig in!



Cinnamon Oat Streusel
·       1/2 cup walnuts, chopped (Pecans would be great too.)
·       1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
·       1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
·       1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
·       2 T. butter, melted


1.      Stir all the ingredients except the melted butter together in a small bowl.
2.     Stir in the melted butter.
3.   Enjoy, storing in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month. 

Comments