Happy National Ice Cream Pie Day + Java Chip Ice Cream Pie

Hey foodies!  August 18 was National Ice Cream Pie Day!  In honor of that special day, I've decided to share one of my favorite treats with y'all today:  Ice cream pie!


I apologize that this post is coming so late, but I have been prepping for my trip.

I can't believe that in the months I've been blogging I haven't brought you an ice cream recipe!  (Although if you make this, it's a good excuse to break out a monstrous scoop of vanilla ice cream 😉.)


Through the years, I've seen my sister make ice cream pies, but only one other time other than this one that I can remember have I actually attempted to make one mostly myself.  I don't know why I haven't because it's so easy!  Just remember to not put more that 3 cups of the filling in each pie crust or else you will have a mess.  ( I noticed this too late.)  Also, make sure that you keep the pies cold or else sticky, messy, falling-apart pie slices will ensue. ( I learned this the hard way.) Lastly, make sure that the sundae topping is nice and spreadable and able to be drizzled but completely cool.  The sundae topping is a bit difficult to work with, but it works pretty well when you drizzle it instead of spreading it over the top of the pie.


But the best part of this pie besides the ice cream in this lush pie:  The coffee chocolate combo!  Coffee and chocolate are two of my favorite treats.  (For those who know me personally, I don't drink caffeinated coffee or else I would be bouncing off the walls!)  There's a nice, rich coffee flavor from the ice cream which gets balanced out with a triple boost of chocolate from the Oreo crust, the chocolate in the ice cream, and the sundae topping.  What more could you want?!



Thanks to my big sister Allison for this recipe!

Java Chip Ice Cream Pie

  • ·        2 Oreo cookie crusts
  • ·        1 2-quart container Java Chip ice cream
  • ·        2 containers of cool whip
  • ·        Dark chocolate chips as desired
  • ·        White chocolate chips as desired
  • ·        Sundae sauce, melted and cooled for drizzling

1.      In a large bowl, stir together the ice cream, cool whip, and dark chocolate chips.
2.      Divide the ice cream mixture evenly between the two crusts, putting no more than 3 cups of the mixture in each crust.  (You will have a little extra mixture.)
3.      Freeze the filled pies until completely frozen.
4.      Drizzle the sundae sauce on the completely chilled pies as desired.
5.      Top the pies with white chocolate chips as desired.
6.      Freeze the pies again until completely chilled before serving.



Comments

Post a Comment