Weeknight Chicken Tikka Masala

Hi everyone!  Need a quick, cheap, and tasty weeknight meal?  If so, today's recipe is for you.

Do you ever get a craving for comfort food?  I know I do!  In a lot of cases, comfort food can seem to mean food that is meticulously prepared by your grandmother.  While this can be true, today's recipe is quick comfort food at its finest.

My kind of comfort food is Indian food.  All of the dishes are full of comforting yest zesty spice that fills not only the belly but the soul as well.  Unfortunately, Indian food can be time-consuming to make.  ( Though this recipe is definitely an exception)  But I am happy to announce that courtesy of my dad, I have found the secret to quick, home-cooked Indian food.


It all starts with a jar of sauce.  Now, I know that this may seem unorthodox coming from someone who is a bit hesitant to use to use cake mix, but the sauce is amazing!  You can use any brand of tikka masala sauce, but I love the "Tiger Tiger" brand.  Even my Indian-American friend thought it smelled authentic!  To the sauce, all you have to add is some cooked and cubed chicken breasts and simmer together to let all the wonderful flavors mingle.  Add a side of vegetables, such as steamed broccoli and serve with whole grain naan or brown rice for super-satisfying Indian comfort food!

By the way, if you are vegetarian or are trying to eat more plant-based foods, you can use garbanzo beans in place of the chicken in the recipe!  It still would be wonderful!

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.

Weeknight Chicken Tikka Masala
  • 2 large chicken breasts, cubed
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 15 oz. jar tikka masala sauce
  • Water to loosen the sauce as needed
  • Brown rice and/or whole grain naan, for serving
1.  In a sauté pan, heat the oil up.
2.  Add the chicken to the prepared pan,
3.  Cook the chicken until all of the pink is gone.
4.  Add the sauce and water if needed to the pan.
5.  Simmer with the chicken for about 10 minutes.
6.  Enjoy, serving with rice and/or naan if desired and refrigerating leftovers for up to 3 days.

Comments