From the Heart- Climbing the Bunker Hill Monument With HLHS!

Hi everyone!  So, as promised, I'm going to tell you more about my trip to Boston.  In the last post, I told y'all about the tasty food I ate 😋!  Today, I'm going to tell you about how I climbed the Bunker Hill Monument (shown below)- with and in spite of my HLHS.


Below are my tips for how to climb the Bunker Hill Monument with HLHS, or any other heart condition you may have.

1.  Disregard the Sign

Due to liability concerns, there is a sign outside of the Bunker Hill Monument which essentially says that it is not advised for people with heart or lung conditions to climb the monument.  Of course, I totally understand why that sign is put there.  However, as someone with HLHS, I can tell you that as long as it is ok with your doctor (which, if your heart is functioning well and you are in good physical shape, it should be), you can safely climb the monument.

2.  Hydrate and Chow Down

Since food and water are not allowed in the monument, it's important that you make sure that you are not hungry and have drank an adequate amount of water before you climb the monument to ensure that you don't faint or something.

3.  Go With Someone

It's important that you don't climb the monument alone.  In addition to making the whole experience more fun, climbing the monument with a friend ensures that someone is with you should you not feel well.

4.  Go Slow

The Bunker Hill Monument is nearly 300 stair high, which is about 20 stories.  As someone with HLHS, I can pretty much guarantee that if you're in my boat, you won't be able to sprint up those stairs.  Instead, go at a steady pace and don't be ashamed to take breaks when you need to.  Remember-  slow and steady wins the race 💪!

If you follow these unprofessional yet heartfelt guidelines, I am pretty sure that you'll have a safe and fun climb up the Bunker Hill Monument!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!


Comments