Rafael's 1st Birthday Smash Cake!



Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Hi everyone!  Today's post is special because it is dedicated to talking about my nephew's first birthday celebration which involved a smash cake.


In case you're wondering what a smash cake is, let me tell you.  When a child turns 1, their family hosts a special celebration.  Part of this involves giving them a piece of cake for the first time and letting them have at it, sans clothes (save a diaper).  Suffice it to say, this makes for a very entertaining experience, for the guests and probably for the child as well πŸ˜†.


Rafael's 1st birthday was yesterday, but our family all celebrated it on Friday.  As I mentioned, Rafael partook in smashing a piece of cake.  In this post, I want to tell you what I thought his reaction to the cake would be and what actually happened.

1.  What I Thought Would Happen

Since Rafael is such a good eater (watermelon FTW), I thought that he would dig into the cake straight away, without hesitation.  I also thought that he would like the cake so much that his parents would have to take it away from him so as to prevent him from getting sick πŸ˜†.  Lastly, I was convinced that he would make a mess while eating the cake.  After all, he has quite a track record of getting his lunch all over himself which inevitably leads to his mother having to hose him off in the backyard before the normal course of life can presume πŸ˜†.

2.  What Actually Happened

Surprisingly, Rafael was very hesitant to try the cake.  Looking back, I think I understand why.  First of all, he was sitting on the ground during the smash cake episode; he normally sits in a high chair, so that was definitely a change.  Secondly, he was surrounded by adoring family members watching his every move 😍. Third, the frosting on the cake was dyed.  My sister and her husband feed Rafael a wholesome, natural diet, so Rafael was probably caught off guard by artificial-looking cake.  I think Rafael was also very hesitant to sample the cake because yours truly was snapping lots of pictures of him with the cake πŸ€“.  Lastly, Rafael was hesitant to taste the cake probably because he is not used to being given such a big portion of one food.


Even though he was hesitant at first, Rafael dug into the cake after my older brother, Sam gave him a tiny taste.  However, Rafael slowed down a bit in chowing down the cake when he got his foot in it πŸ˜‚.

As I predicted, Rafael made a big mess and had to be hosed off outside after indulging in the cake.  And of course, my little piggy had to have the cake taken away from him 😜.  (I call him my piggy because he is chubby and a great eater πŸ˜‚πŸ·.)


In closing, I am so thankful to have Rafael in my life.  I am especially thankful that God has kept him and that he is healthy and strong.  And of course, I am happy that he seems to be a foodie like his auntie 😁.

That's all for now!  I look forward to posting again on Friday 😊.









Comments

Post a Comment