Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes





Hi everyone!  I apologize for not posting on Monday; I was busy on the holiday but I promise that the wait will be worth it.  Let's kick off Thanksgiving break with a fun, nutritious breakfast!



Last Saturday, when I came into the kitchen a bit after waking up, there was no one in my family downstairs.  Thinking that I should get started for the day and being hungry shortly after waking up, I decided to whip up a simple, wholesome breakfast to energize me:  whole grain toast with a shmear of almond butter, a drizzle of honey, and a side of blueberries.  But no sooner had the toast browned than my mom came down the stairs, eagerly proposing that we should make some pancakes.  After a bit of hesitation, I agreed, whipped out my camera, and the pancake-making began!  To be honest, I mostly took pictures of the process while my other family members followed the recipe ๐Ÿ˜.



You might be wondering what was the result of this spur-of-the-moment breakfast adventure.  Well, the result was fluffy, wonderfully spiced, pumpkin pancakes ๐Ÿ˜‹.  Sometimes, the most fun comes from no planning at all ๐Ÿ˜‰.



And while these pancakes are flavorful all on their own, there are several ways to take them up to the next level.  Good old butter and maple syrup are quite tasty on top.  Make sure that you use pure maple syrup; it tastes so much more real and is definitely healthier than the imitation.  Also, have you tried pumpkin butter?  It is so good!  Essentially, pumpkin butter is jam made from pumpkins; its sweet with a chockful of pumpkin flavor and a lovely touch of warm spice.  It's really good along with whipped cream on these pumpkin pancakes.  As pictured, powdered sugar goes very well with these pancakes.  If you're willing to put in a little more work, you could even top these pancakes with this apple pie topping.  (Cue a mingle of nostalgia and embarrassment in me from looking at my first blog post ๐Ÿ˜‚.)

This recipe was tweaked to bring you today's recipe.

That's all for now.  Don't forget to follow me on Instagram.  I look forward to posting again on Monday ๐Ÿ˜Š.



Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes
  • 2 cups milk
  • 1 cup pumpkin pureรฉ
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 T. vegetable oil, plus more for cooking
  • 2 T. vinegar
  • 2 cups whole-wheat flour
  • 3 T. lightly packed brown sugar
  • 2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. ground allspice
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
1.  In a large bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
2.  In a medium bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
3.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until just combined.
4.  In a sautรฉ pan over medium heat, add a generous coating of vegetable oil and let it get hot.
5.  Add the batter in 1/4 cup scoops to the pan.
6.  Cook until the pancakes are browned on both sides.
7.  Enjoy, storing leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.


Comments