From the Heart- More Info on Summer Procedures, New Pacemaker Info, and Special Announcement!

Hi everyone!  How was your weekend?  I just got back from Boston on Saturday!  I'll tell you more about my trip on Friday and next Monday 😉.  So I just want to give y'all a little medical update and tell you something really cool!

So remember when I told you about my summer procedures?  (If you missed that, click here and here.)  So even though I told you some about them, I want to tell you more because the medical center that I go to sent a letter in the mail about them.  So, as I thought, I will have to fast before the procedure 😭.  The only exceptions are water and other clear liquids, like apple juice.  Also, the procedure is first thing in the morning, which is both a blessing and curse.  It's a blessing because the sooner it is, the sooner I can get out of the hospital but it's a curse in that I have to get up pretty early.  Also, in case you were wondering, the official name of the procedure is a heart catherization procedure.

I found out some cool info regarding my pacemaker!  So my mom contacted my pacemaker company about going through metal detectors.  Apparently, as long as I don't linger near them, I can go through metal detectors at airports and sports/music venues!  However, at airports, it is not always permitted to go through the metal detector if you have a pacemaker.

So finally to the special announcement!  So, in case you're new to my blog, I was born with a rare and complex heart defect called HLHS.  In my whole life that I can remember, I've only met one other person with HLHS.  For a while, I have been wanting to meet someone with HLHS.  I was fortunate to meet a girl with it at a Make-a-Wish gala last year, but unfortunately she was substantially younger than me and also had other health complications.  So recently, my mom reached out to the nurse practitioner at the medical center where I receive care for my heart and asked if it might be possible for me to meet someone with HLHS.  The nurse practitioner wrote back and said that she contacted the family of a young lady with a similar condition and that they would like to meet up with me!  I was so excited (and still am) 🎉!  Although family and friends are very compassionate and understanding regarding my HLHS, they cannot fully empathize with me in my HLHS journey.  I am so thankful and excited for this opportunity that God has provided and will tell y'all about when I will meet and how it goes!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Comments