From the Heart- Weird Presyncope Episode + Hiking With HLHS!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!

Hi everyone!  It's been a while since I've taken a break from foodie things and given you a sneak peek into my life, so I'm devoting this post to being a "from the heart" post.  By the way, if you don't see a lot of posts like this, that's usually good because it generally means that nothing medically noteworthy is happening 😊.

By God's grace my health has been good!  However, on Friday, while I was walking, I had this really weird feeling that I was going to pass out.  The best word that describes that feeling is light-headed.  Thankfully, I did not pass out.  I was with my parents, so I let them know and sat down for a few minutes just to make sure that nothing would happen.  It wasn't a big deal, but I wonder how it happened.  I had just eaten dinner, so I know that it wasn't because my blood sugar was low.  As I mentioned in this post, I do take metroprolol tartate to help prevent another atrial tachycardia episode.  One of the side effects of this medication is dizziness which apparently is made more likely when one is also taking aspirin (which I do).  If you're curious about that topic, let me direct you here.


Anyways onto another topic-  hiking!  I don't let my HLHS stop me from hiking because a moderate hike keeps my heart strong πŸ’ͺπŸ’“!  (See picture below of where I hiked on Saturday.)  However, I do have a few pointers for people with HLHS or any other heart condition who want to hike.  If you are curious about the tips I gave in another post for another cardiovascular excursion, click here.


1.  Evaluate Your Health

It's always a good idea to check with your doctor before doing something pretty cardiovascular like hiking.

2.  Be Mindful of Elevation

An HLHS heart has a harder time adjusting to a higher elevation, so its important not to overdo it when at a higher elevation.  This doesn't mean that you can't hike when at the mountains, but just be careful.

3.  Pick an Easy or Moderate Hike

It's good to challenge an HLHS heart somewhat, which is exactly what easy or moderate hikes do.

4.  Don't Go Alone

In case of an emergency, it's always good to have someone with you when you hike.  This is true for anyone who hikes, but especially for those with HLHS.  Plus, hiking with a buddy is way more fun than going alone-  you get a cheerleader πŸ™Œ!

5.  Hydrate and Chow Down

Hydration is especially important for people with HLHS, so make sure to bring plenty of water on your hike.  If you're going on a longer hike (mine was about 2 hours), it's good to bring some chow in case hunger hits.

6.  Don't Be Afraid to Take Breaks

If you're with people who know about your HLHS or other heart condition, you don't have to be afraid to tell them when you need a break.  Of course, push yourself a little, but speak up when you need a rest.  This can be hard for me but it's ok to admit that you're tired; that shows strength, not weakness!

7.  Bring a Medical Card

Again, in case of an emergency, it's always a good idea to be prepared.

So that's it!  Let me know in the comments below what other tips you have for hiking with HLHS or other heart conditions.  I'll "talk" to y'all again on Friday!

Comments

Post a Comment