100th Post!!

Don't forget to follow me on Instagram!



Hi everyone!  Today's post is really special to me because it is my 100th blog post 😮🎉!!  I cannot believe it!  I want to use this post to tell you all a little bit about why I started blogging, how the blog has evolved, and what to expect.  At the end of the post, I'll reveal the 10 most popular blog posts ever on the blog!

But before I do all that, I owe a huge thank you to you, my readers.  Without you, this wouldn't be a blog.  I deeply appreciate that you take the time to read my blog, subscribe to it, and even leave a comment.  When I see that people from all over the world have read my blog, it is overwhelming and makes me so grateful for the opportunity this blog gives me to reach people all over the world with my love of food and my desire to spread awareness for congenital heart defects. 

1.  Why I Started Food Blogging

I think the main reason that I started food blogging is that I needed a creative outlet.  Some people are athletic; some are artistic; others play instruments.  None of these are creative outlets for me.  I discovered over time that my creative outlets are cooking, writing, and now that I have a DSLR camera, photography.  What better way to channel all of those passions than a food blog?  So on December 18, 2016, I started a food blog.

2.  The Inspiration Behind the Name of My Blog

One of the most important aspects of starting a blog is the name of the blog.  Honestly, I don't remember what different names I was considering for my new blog, but I know that I had a few criteria in mind.  First of all, the blog name needed to be original.  I didn't want to take the name of a blog that contained the author's name and merely insert my name into it.  I also knew that I wanted a general name.  What I mean is that I didn't want to title my blog a name that evoked that it would be solely devoted to healthy eating or that it would only involve baking.  Of course, I wanted to title my blog something that would let readers know that it was a food blog, but I also wanted the name to be applicable to my wide range of recipes and adventures. 

Then I thought about one of the most basic kitchen necessities:  an apron.  And the truth is that when an apron is used a lot, it gets dirty.  However, I didn't want to call my blog "The Dirty Apron" per se.  I thought about the name of a blog I'd seen called Chelsea's Messy Apron.  I really liked the name of the blog, but I certainly did not want to copy it.  So the name of my blog was a riff on the title of Chelsea's blog.  It was final; the name of my blog would be The Well-loved Apron.

3.  How The Well-loved Apron Evolved

There are many ways in which The Well-loved Apron has evolved over time, but there are two obvious and important ways in which it has evolved.  The first major evolution was how consistently I posted.  For the first year or so of blogging, I posted whenever I felt like it.  Over time, I realized that in order to be a true blue blogger, I needed to post regularly, which meant at least twice a week.  So starting January 1, 2018, I resolved to start posting regularly.  I decided to post every Monday and Friday because that way, I could post something for the work week and also something for the weekend.  Have I stuck to that resolution?  Not each and every week, but I think that I can look back on these past 7 months and say with confidence that on the whole, I have been consistent in posting Monday's and Friday's.

The other main way in which The Well-loved Apron has evolved is that starting February 15, 2018, I opened up about my congenital heart defect.  I had mentioned it in passing in a post before then, but I got a lot more specific that day.  I think I realized that although my heart condition does not define me, it is an important part of who I am and that by keeping that from my readers, I was not being open and vulnerable with them.  I think part of what inspired me to share my medical journey with you all was The Frey Life.   I started watching them at about the same time that I started writing "from the heart" posts.  I think that seeing someone be so honest about their health journey inspired me to do the same.  At first, I thought that these medical posts would be written in addition to two food posts a week, but then I realized that it would be more realistic to do just two posts a week.  Sometimes those two posts would be food-related but at other times one would be a recipe and one would be a recent part of my heart journey.  Although the focus of The Well-loved Apron is still primarily food, it now relays tidbits of my life that I hope will inspire others with medical conditions and educate those who may not know much about congenital heart defects.

4.  What to Expect From Now On

Even though this is the 100th blog post, I'm still just a girl with a food and life blog.  I'll still be posting every Monday and Friday.  I still am fired up about food and life and I plan on continuing to show that in the content I bring you in each post.  But there is going to be a major change to The Well-loved Apron and that is...(drum roll please)...PICTURES WILL BE WITH MY NEW DSLR CAMERA!!!  (I'm totally not excited about that at all 😆.)  Up to this point, the pictures in my post have been with my smartphone camera, which was alright, but not enough for a true blue food blogger.  About a month ago, I bit the bullet and decided to purchase an entry-level DSLR camera with the money I had saved up over the years.  I hadn't had my heart set on anything in particular when I was saving my money, but when this summer came, I knew I that I wanted to upgrade to a DSLR camera.  I am learning that for food photography, there is no comparison between a smartphone camera and a DSLR camera.  Just see this post for proof!  However, this photography change will not come for a little while longer as I need to photograph a substantial amount of recipes so that I don't have to revert back to smartphone pictures.

And now on to the last part of this post:  the top 10 most popular posts ever on The Well-loved Apron!

10.  Whole Grain Dark Chocolate Chip Muffins



These wholesome muffins are fluffy, nutty, and dotted with pockets of rich dark chocolate!

9.  My First Food Truck Experience


I had a great food truck experience at a local taco truck that made me want to come back for more 😋🌮!



Take one bite of these gluten-free gems and you'll feel like you're eating an Almond Joy candy in cookie form!

7.  Whole Grain Banana Walnut Chocolate Chip Muffins


These fruity, nutty, decadent muffins are sure to satisfy your sweet tooth at breakfast time!



In this recipe, banana muffins get a serious upgrade when decked with a sweet and spicy streusel!


In this post, I explain my heart condition in more detail and relay a bit of my experience with having atrial tachycardia!



This creamy, comforting sauce is great on shrimp and a fantastic base for homemade mac n' cheese!



These chewy and satisfying protein bars are the perfect post-workout snack!



In this post, I showcase a unique and nutty cake and announce my trip to Europe!



This beautiful Mexican-style slaw is the perfect side dish for taco Tuesday!

To close this post, I want to say that this 100th post is by no means the end of my blogging journey.  Here's to 100 more 🥂!

Comments

  1. Happy 100th, Lily! We appreciate all your posts and your joyful 💜!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved all the posts you have posted and look forward to reading many more of your recipes and updates on your medical condition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment